You could be eligible for Summer Company if you:
- currently reside in Ontario, enrolled in full-time studies at a high school, college or university level
- are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- are between 15-29 years old (if under 18: a parent needs to sign the application)
- are not already running a business
- are not working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program
- are returning to school after the program ends
- you cannot apply again, if you have received a Summer Company grant in the past.
If you are on social assistance (Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program) you can still apply to Summer Company. Payments from the program may be exempt as income and assets under social assistance, so your monthly social assistance payment may not be affected.
Maximum grant: $3,000
Successful Summer Company applicants get:
- up to $1,500 up front to help with start-up costs
- up to $1,500 when you successfully complete the program requirements
When money flows
It takes a minimum of 15 business days to process your first payment after we approve your application and you meet all the requirements.
Dates and hours
Start date: June 1st or completion of school
End date: Labour Day (but you can choose to keep running your summer business while in school)
You must be prepared to commit:
- an average of 35 hours per week
- a minimum of 8 weeks in a row for high school students (total 280 hours)
- a minimum of 12 weeks in a row for post-secondary students (total 420 hours)
What kind of business
You can choose to start almost any type of business, as long as it:
- is a sole proprietorship or corporation (where you are the majority shareholder)
- is an independent business venture (not a part of an existing or family business)
- qualifies as “self-employed” for income tax purposes
- operates in Ontario on a full-time basis
- follows government rules for operating a business
How to apply
For detailed instructions on how to apply to the Summer Company program. Check out the following link.
To prepare your application:
- Check to see if you are eligible for the program
- Contact the Waterloo Region local program provider, Rob Clement 519.741.2200 ext.7986 email@example.com
The deadline to apply is May 19th, 2019.